“Whiria te tangata – weaving the people together” is National Volunteer Week’s 2019 theme.
So we’re celebrating volunteering, Mahi Aroha and social action from 16- 22 June.
Over 1,700 volunteers teach new Kiwis English for work and life here through ELPNZ. They help former refugees and migrants learn the everyday language we need to socialise, talk to neighbours, teachers, doctors, work colleagues etc.
Volunteers often get more from their experience than they give. One volunteer puts it this way: “I absolutely love it. Even if I have a bad day at work, I enjoy meeting my learner. It’s the best volunteer job”.
So join in! Support and connect with activities in your community. Stand together in our differences.
20 Ways to Celebrate
(Thanks a million to Volunteering New Zealand for these ideas!)
- NVW 2019 Theme – Whiria te tangata – weaving the people together. This theme should provide the basis of all your NVW activities. Ideally demonstrating a sense of the diversity of what volunteers do and who they are, and their connections with others.
- Weaving your community together – Remember to celebrate Volunteering, Mahi Aroha and social action that weaves people and communities together.
- Collaborate – contact local community groups to create a combined NVW campaign (shared effort, more impact!).
- Morning tea – coloured cupcakes to match the NVW2019 logo colours!
- Thank you cards for your volunteers – even better if they’re hand-made.
- Be the chalk of the town – create NVW hearts and messages all over the pavements.
- NVW Resources on social media – Use NVW resources such as Facebook cover photo, profile frame, logos, etc.
- Awards evening – recognise your volunteers are a local event. Invite your local mayors and MPs.
- Certificate of recognition – NVW certificates can be downloaded here.
- Create videos and slideshows – interview members of the public and ask them to share about what volunteers mean to them and your community.
- Volunteer recruitment events – NVW raises the volunteering profile in New Zealand so it’s an ideal time to boost awareness about your volunteer roles! Consider creating a volunteer recruitment advert via Seek Volunteer.
- Mahi Aroha Poems – give your volunteers a poem acknowledging the impact they have. Here’s one we like: ‘He aroha whakatō, He aroha puta mai’ ‘If kindness is sown, then kindness you shall receive.’
- Shop window displays – encourage your local shops to decorate their windows in NVW resources (such as the NVW poster), messages, etc.
- Good news stories – contact local and national media with stories about your volunteers (even better if told from the perspective of your volunteers).
- Buy a NVW badge – Yes! NVW2019 badges are now available (we love the beautiful NVW logo!). They’re 25mm. $4.00 per badge, plus $2.00 postage or $8.00 courier delivery all GST inclusive. Order them at firstname.lastname@example.org (with the subject line Volunteer NZ).
- Ask your volunteers – if you want to really do something your volunteers will appreciate, perhaps gives them some options to choose from regarding how they’d like to be acknowledged.
- Create an infographic of your volunteers’ impact– celebrate and show the impact your volunteers have! You can create designs with Canva.
- Share your story with VNZ – VNZ will be launching an interactive story map filled with fabulous volunteer stories (told by volunteers). Share your story with us here.
- Reflect on your organisations volunteer programme – Our NVW theme provides an opportunity for us as a volunteering community to commit to building meaningful, enduring and inclusive relationships across our differences, and to make space for diverse voices. For some inspiration check out this new resource Creating an inclusive volunteering environment.
- Help us make NVW huge this year! – don’t forget to like, comment, share NVW content. It’s important NVW is celebrated far and wide
VNZ also has icons, logos, posters, badges etc.